XBMC is an award winning media center for Linux, Mac, Windows and XBox. First thanks to this post which I stumbled and discovered about XBMC. Now I am going to tell you about my experience about XBMC.
First add these lines to your third party software sources list:
Then save and reload your repositories, you can also do this from terminal by typing
Now after the update is finished, you can install xbmc by typing this line in the terminal
- sudo apt-get install xbmc
You can start XBMC by navigating to Applications -> Sound & Video ->XBMC Media Center
I instantly liked this application, the screens, the navigation and everything is good looking. I used another media center application by name Entertainer but I liked XBMC more. Entertainer didn’t work well while compiz is running you need to use matacity for it to display properly. It also created tiny image thumbnails of the contents of the pictures folder in each folder. On the other hand XBMC has no problem loading while compiz is running and views are really good. Though I find one proble with XBMC is playing DVD’s. It loaded the DVD properly but started playing it very fastly as if you press fast forward. It even loaded iso file but same problem with it, it’s playing the movie as if your’re fast forwarding it might be that it is a beta version. It had no problems playing avi files, flv or any other video files it played perfectly well.
Check out some of my screen shots of XBMC.
Powered by ScribeFire.
We will configure the SQL Explorer Plug-in & connect to the database. I will be using MySql server. It will be almost the same for all the databases. If you have not yet installed the plug-in please see my post on Installing Eclipse SQL Explorer Plug-in.
- From the eclipse menu, select window->preferences
- In the preference dialog box, select the SQL Explorer node.
- Select the JDBC Drivers node.
- Select the Driver you want to configure. We will configure MySQL Driver. So select the MySQL Driver & click edit on the right hand side.
- Select the “extra class path” tab in the change dialog box.
- Add the MySQL Connector jar file by clicking on add button. You can download the connectors from MySQL site. You can download it directly from here.
- Once you added the jar file click on List Drivers on the right hand side. You can see all the loaded drivers. Select the one appropriate to you.
- Enter the URL of your MySQL Server in the Example URL text box. Something like this “jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/test”. Here “test” is the database name & enter the url without quotes.
- Click ok to finish the installation of the driver. You should be able to see a green tick mark for the driver we just installed.
Now we will connect to the database.
- From the eclipse menu, select window->Open Perspective->other.
- In the Open Perspective dialog box select SQL Explorer & click ok.
- Eclipse will be switched to SQL Explorer perspective.
For installing SQL Explorer plug-in in eclipse 3.4 go to this updated post Installing Eclipse Explorer Plug-in in Eclipse Ganymede (Eclipse 3.4).
Today I am going to show you how to install SQL Explorer plug-in in eclipse.
There are two ways to install.
- Download the distribution
file and unzip it into your Eclipse installation.
- Use the Eclipse Update
Installing using the Eclipse Update Manager
- From the Eclipse menu,
select Help->Software Update->Find and Install. You will be
displayed with a Install/Update dialog box.
- Select Search for new
features to install radio button & click next.
- Click on the New Remote
Site on the right hand side of the Install dialog box
- Enter the name as “SQL
Explorer” & “http://eclipsesql.sourceforge.net/” (without quotes) for
the url in the New Update Site dialog box and click ok.
- Select the SQL Explorer
site in the Install dialog box and click finish.
- Once the search is
finished, it will present with the features to install.
- Select the features you
want to install. In this case select SQL Explorer branch & click next.
- Accept the license
agreement & click next.
- Select the install location
where you want to install this plug-in. By default it will be installed
into the eclipse plug-in directory. If you want to add another location
click on the change location button on the lower right hand corner and
specify the directory where you want to install. Once you are finished
with the selections click on finish button.